16 Cheap & Helpful Tips
to Winterize Your Home on a Budget!!!😱
This time of the year is
critical to our pocket books and with Covid-19's presence, saving money now is more important than ever! The key to saving $$$ is to keep the cold out and the heat in . Here are some quick and easy tips to do just that!!!
❄️⛄☔❄️⛄☔ ❄️⛄☔❄️⛄☔ ❄️⛄☔ ❄️⛄☔ ❄️⛄☔ ❄️⛄☔ ❄️⛄☔ ❄️⛄☔
1. CHECK ROOF FOR DAMAGE
- Repair any raised shingles
- Replace any damaged shingles
- Caulk any exposed fastener heads
2. TRIM OVERHANGING BRANCHES
- Cut back all vegetation that is touching the roof or siding at least 12” from the home. Plants can hold moisture that can eventually penetrate the structure causing significant damage to the home.
3. CLEAN YOUR GUTTERS AND DOWNSPOUTS
- This is necessary for proper roof drainage
- Will also help prevent ice damming
4. EXTERIOR PAINT
- Paint over any exposed exterior wood siding
5. EXTERIOR CAULK
- Caulk all exposed siding joints. This will prevent moisture from entering the home.
6. BLOW OUT SPRINKLERS
- Have your sprinkler system blown out. The frost line in the winter months can penetrate well beyond the depth of your sprinkler piping, freezing any water that remains as well as breaking the lines.
7. GARDEN HOSES
- Disconnect all garden hoses, drain the hose and roll them up. Leaving the garden hoses connected can cause the water inside to freeze which can result in a severed hose or worse a broken hose bib.
8. EXTERIOR HOSE BIBS
- Insulate your home’s exterior hose bibs for the winter months while they aren’t in use.
9. CLOSE FOUNDATION VENTS
- Close the home’s foundation vents for the winter months. This will help the home maintain a more consistent temperature in the crawl space of your home.
10. A/C UNIT
- Cover the homes Air Conditioning unit with a cover or tarp. This will help extend the overall life of the unit.
- Examine windows for gaps where warm air can escape, and cold air can
- Caulk or apply weather stripping around problem draft areas.
- Install double-paned windows to increase energy efficiency if you can.
12. WEATHER STRIPPING
- Check all weather stripping around the home’s doors to ensure
the doors are completely sealed.
- Repair and replace the weather stripping as needed.
13. CHANGE FURNACE FILTER
- Change your home’s furnace filter regularly. It is especially
important as we come into winter and use the furnace often.
14. THERMOSTAT UPGRADE
- Consider updating that old dial thermostat for a programmable one. This will ensure the furnace is only running when needed and at the peak times of the day.
15. OUTSIDE FURNITURE
- Put away patio furniture or cover it, so it does not get ruined from the winter weather.
- Put your grill away as well if you do not use it during the winter months.
16. SMOKE DETECTORS
- Check to insure they are all working properly.
- Replace the batteries in all of the smoke detectors in your house. (Every 6 months you should replace the batteries.)
❄️⛄☔❄️⛄☔ ❄️⛄☔ ❄️⛄☔ ❄️⛄☔ ❄️⛄☔ ❄️⛄☔ ❄️⛄☔ ❄️⛄☔ ❄️⛄☔
These 16 tips will ensure your home will keep you safe and warm during those cold winter months. Invest some time into you largest investment. Both you and your home will be glad you did!
From our TEAM at Pinnacle Real Estate to your family, may you have a wonderful fall and winter season!!!